Since the 1890's this has been a sandwich shop, owned by an Italian, Mr Simonetti, who sold "Coffee made by the latest express method". In 1930 it was bought by the current owners, the Sabini's.
When the shop first opened it was selling ice cream, tobacco and chocolates.
Behind the shop were ice cream making sheds, reach by a 'ginnel' or passage
between this and the next shop.
In 1980, in response to the 'fast food burger', Peter Sabini came up with the 'Beefer', made from thinly sliced roast beef and a mayonnaise dressing. Currently a media sparked scare about British beef has resulted in the shop having to use Australian beef.
Go into Churchgate on the virtual walk
Back to the main Bolton page
A full index is available to all these pages.
DISCLAIMER: Errors and Omissions Excepted.