Rivington, in Lancashire, lies to the north of Horwich and is reached from Lever Park Avenue. The
River Douglas starts in Rivington, heading south through Wigan, marking the boundary between Horwich and Rivington. An early form if its name
"Ruhwinton" could be derived from a rough farm steading, or "Rowenton", the
settlement of the mountain ash.
Bronze age burial sites have been found on several hilltops, including Winter Hill. Above Rivington, are the Terraced Gardens, all that now remains of the former
house and estate of Lord Leverhulme.
The entrance to Lever Park Avenue is at a place called Scholes Bank in Horwich.
The picture above shows the entrance to Lever Park Avenue, which leads into
Rivington lane. The left hand pillar reads: LEVER PARK, THE GIFT OF WILLIAM
HESKETH LEVER 1ST VISCOUNT LEVERHULME BORN AT 6 WOOD STREET, BOLTON SEPTEMBER
19TH 1861. DIED AT HAMPSTEAD, LONDON MAY 7TH 1925.
The right hand pillar reads: FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE CITIZENS OF HIS NATIVE
TOWN AND NEIGHBOURHOOD BY ACT OF PARLIAMENT IN 1902 THE OWNERSHIP AND CARE OF
THE PARY WERE VESTED IN THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF LIVERPOOL.
The actual act of parliament was passed on May 30th 1902 after a long battle
which decided that Rivington Park could be a public park, but Liverpool
Corporation, who's water it supplied, were to be responsible for it.
Several mills were built to make use of the running water,
handloom weaving and a number of farms established. Liverpool Corporation
Waterworks built filter beds on the site, and used the reservoir to supply
drinking water from 1857.
Great House Barn
During 1941-45, this barn was apparently used by units of the regular army
and the TA. If you can help fill in the details of this, please email me. You may also like to
contact Len, who can be emailed on email@example.com.
Great House Barn just off Rivington Lane, the
design is Scandinavian, and dates speculated are between 811 A.D. and 1300
A.D. with major renovation in 1702. The roof is spectacular with an internal oak
framework. Today it contains a tourist information centre and a cafe.
Rivington Hall Barn
This is similar to the Great House Barn in construction
probably dated around the same time, but much larger, 32m (105 feet) long, 17m
(57 feet) wide and 7m (23 feet) high at the centre of the roof. Restoration of
this building has taken place this century. On Sundays this is a popular
meeting place for local motorcyclists, and a craft fair is held inside the
barn. It is also licensed to sell alcohol, and frequently hosts dances and
concerts in the evenings.
The stone bases and crucks supporting the roof, and some of the purlins are
part of the original construction, the rest of the barn dating from a rebuild
in the early 1700's. They were used originally to shelter animals and feed,
and later to store hay.
Internal construction uses a technique called Cruck, where two similar pieces
of timber are connected in pairs with a tie beam. The crucks sit on stone
bases which protect the wood from the damp of the ground. Purlins, the beams of
wood running the length of the building support the stone flag roof, the walls
also being stone. Wooden pegs pushed into mortice holes are used to secure the
timers, iron was more useful in weapons or tools than nails.
Lever Park was bought in 1900 by Mr.
William Hesketh Lever (1851 - 1925), first Viscount Leverhulme. Shortly
after buying the Rivington estate with around 400 acres of land, he donated
much of it to the people of Bolton.
Above the banks of the Rivington Reservoir is a replica of
Liverpool Castle. Lever also constructed a small zoo and Terraced Gardens. The zoo is now
no longer in existence, the gardens overgrown.
This reduced scale replica of Liverpool Castle was built by Lever between 1912 and 1925, and not completed. The
original Liverpool Castle built in 1235 was demolished in 1725 after being
badly damaged during the Civil War 1642 - 1650, this copy built as a ruin, to
recreate a period in Liverpool's history.
46k GIF 98k JPEG
Liverpool Castle copy at Rivington c1996
These ruins are accessible from the Rivington estate.
Rivington is a popular walking area, and Rivington
Pike and Terraced Gardens are the areas to
This overflow is currently dry!
20k GIF 81k JPEG
Found in Yarrow, displayed in lower barn 1996
This was found when the water level was very low in the Yarrow. A similar head
is carved and remains overlooking the reservoir.
Rockhaven - Brownlow Castle
Built in 1820 by a Bolton attorney, Richard Brownlow, who later became a
recluse in this building which dominated the Horwich skyline. It was part of
the estate which Lord Leverhulme bought in 1899 after Brownlow's death. It was
demolished in 1942 as its prominence was apparently used by German bombers
during the Second World War as a fixing point for the railworks at Horwich.
There is another page about Rivington at
DISCLAIMER: Errors and Omissions Excepted.