The industrial history starts in 1611 when George Hulton dug the first coal pits. By 1848 there were 20 pits in the area. There is a series of underground canals beneath Farnworth which were used to transport coal to Worsley, dug in the early 1800's.
One of the earliest paper mills in Lancashire was built by the Crompton family in Farnworth. The first steam weaving mill was opened in 1828 by James Rothwell Barnes, later becoming a spinning mill, and the first iron foundry was opened in 1838. Central Park was opened on October 12th 1864. Farnworth Streets started to be lit by gas from September 6th 1860, Thomas Brown from Kearsley was the first lamplighter.
The first post office in Farnworth opened in 1836. Prior to that post was collected from Bolton. St John's, Farnworth's parish church, was consecrated in September 1826 by the Bishop of Chester. From 1827, Farnworth Wakes started in September an annual holiday period when a fair visits the town.
The River Irwell and the River Croal
flow though Farnworth, and Crompton Lodges, which is
reclaimed land from former mine workings, is a popular walking and picnicking
spot in summer.
The sports and lesiure centre for Farnworth can be telephoned on 01204 334477.
The Card and Gift Centre shop in Farnworth, with greetings cards, balloons, chocolates and party ware has a web site at http://www.cardandgiftcentre.co.uk/
At the northern end of Farnworth is Moses Gate and St Peter's Way, south east is M61 Kearsley junction. In the south is Longcauseway, the west Highfield, Dixon Green and Hollins.
Another area not documented is Harper Green where there is a sports and leisure centre, phone number is 01204 701946.
DISCLAIMER: Errors and Omissions Excepted.
[Home] [Bolton] [Index] [Gallery] [Webcam] [Updated] [Walk] [Drive] [Links]